Saturday, September 18, 2021

The Insidious Dark Cloud

 Depression is a sneaky SOB. One minute you are fine, and the next thing you know you are surrounded by a dark, impenetrable cloud. It was following you the whole time, just waiting for you to let your guard down so that it could swoop in and envelop you without warning.

Today was going fine. We were busy at the store. I was knocking out tasks and getting things done. Then suddenly one more thing landed on my plate before I was ready for the additional load. That was all it took. The cloud descended, and I tripped, falling into the deep well I hadn't seen in front of me.

It's really hard when that happens. I find myself torn between breaking out in hysterical tears or throwing things just to hear them smash in order to get at least a little catharsis. Of course, I don't usually do either, since breaking things doesn't really help and then you have to pay for replacements, and bursting into tears at the workplace only serves to make others uncomfortable, which makes you feel guilty, and just makes things spiral even more out of control.

So, I gritted my teeth, did my best not to bite anyone's head off, and powered through to the end of the night. Because that's what you do, right?

The Husbeast indulged me, and we went through the DQ drive-thru so I could get the soft serve cone I've been craving for three weeks, but even that was an exercise in frustration. 

In the end, I got my chocolate-dipped cone, Pancake got his Pup Cup, and The Husbeast got his Blizzard. (Though he just tried to inhale a chocolate chip. THAT didn't go well, but no ambulance was required.)

Tomorrow is another day, and hopefully a good night's sleep will push the cloud back away for a while and I'll be able to get some more of the always-increasing list of tasks completed. 

Maybe I'll even be able to hold the cloud off for a while. That would be a nice change of pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, so if you don't see your comment right away don't worry, I'll review it and add it as soon as possible. The only time that comments won't be approved is if they are inappropriate. And yes, I am the sole arbiter as to what qualifies as inappropriate. :)