Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Long time, no type

 Hello again, World!

It's been a while since I've been here. I guess because I've been in seriously negative headspace for the past five years or so.  I can't imagine why. **she says wryly**

But yet again I'm going to try and post here more often. Even if it is only a few lines sometimes, I want to start weaning myself off using Facebook for my random thoughts, and put them somewhere less ephemeral.

Today's thoughts are on selfishness. More specifically, the selfishness that has become endemic in American culture. Somehow we have lost the concepts of community and shared responsibility, and we have become a country that shouts to the heavens, "ME FIRST!" to the detriment of the idea that part of being a civilization is putting the needs of the community ahead of our own needs sometimes.

Now, I'm not saying that we should never examine a situation to determine if it is best to dive in or step back, but I AM saying that there's a contract involved in citizenship, and that contract implicitly includes the idea that in times of crisis we, as a whole, need to put our differences aside and work together to bring the optimal resolution out of the chaos.

Right now that means we need to wear a mask, get vaccinated, and do everything possible to reduce the impact that COVID and its variants are having on our world.

It really isn't that hard. People wear masks all day when working in the medical field. Lots of other people have been wearing them all day in other places, like...say...working retail in places like comic and game stores. Shado and I have been wearing them for 11 to 13 hours a day for around 18 months now without any ill effects at all.  I even have an oximeter and check readings occasionally out of curiousity, and have never had low oxygen levels.

The vaccines are not 'rushed', they are based on years of research and development. They're safe. They're not going to kill anyone. They're not going to implant monitoring chips into people. What they ARE going to do is help you not die if you get a breakthrough case. 

I don't know how or why something as basic as helping keep yourself and others safe became a political football, and I don't really care. What I care about is that it stop. It's time to become American citizens again, with all of the responsibilities that entails.  It's time to step up and do what is necessary for the good of the country and the world, just like we did in the 1940's. 

Either that or admit that we're just not the people we once were, and we're just not capable of ever being them again.

Which is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, so if you don't see your comment right away don't worry, I'll review it and add it as soon as possible. The only time that comments won't be approved is if they are inappropriate. And yes, I am the sole arbiter as to what qualifies as inappropriate. :)