Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Compassion Fatigue

 I've hit the wall, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  I'm done with people who are anti-mask or anti-vaccine, or both.  

This past weekend was Oktoberfest here in Downtown, and we were one of the few stores requiring masks.  We had piles and piles of boxes of individually wrapped masks with really cool patterns on them for anyone who didn't have their own. We gave them away for free. People had to wear them for the 10 minutes or so that they were browsing in the store. That's not really much to ask.

And yet...

We got yelled at, told how ridiculous asking people to wear masks was, and huffily told that people would just go elsewhere to spend their money.

Okay.  Buh bye.  I'm not really upset that you didn't come into my store.  You see, I prefer to share my enthusiasms with people who actually CARE about others, and who aren't narcissistic, ignorant, obnoxious Typhoid Mary Wannabes. I wouldn't care about you people at all if it weren't for the fact that you're potentially infecting other people due to your idiocy.

Then there's the fact that when you DO get it, you'll forget everything you ever said about how science and the doctors are wrong, and go running to the hospital to be cured.  You'll take space from people who did everything right, but now can't get a hospital bed when they come in due to a heart attack or car accident or some other need.  You'll kill them because of your selfishness.

I have no more sympathy for you.  They're calling it 'compassion fatigue', and I think that name fits well. I'm normally a compassionate person, but I'm so tired now. I'm tired of a culture that puts the self before the welfare of the community. I'm tired of people refusing to do small things for the common good out of the belief that it somehow tramples on some fictitious right to disregard the welfare of everyone around them.

If you refused to get the vaccine and / or refused to wear a mask, I will do nothing for you. I will give my utmost to assist those who did everything they were supposed to do but are dealing with the results of your selfishness.  You wanted to go it alone, well do that. You can lie in the bed of your own making, gasping for air and hallucinating from fever, and be proud of the fact that you didn't give in to that whole Fake COVID Thing.

Congratulations. You're independent of everyone and everything. Enjoy it.

Just don't look to me for help. My compassion is gone, and my soul is too fatigued to do anything more. 

All thanks to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, so if you don't see your comment right away don't worry, I'll review it and add it as soon as possible. The only time that comments won't be approved is if they are inappropriate. And yes, I am the sole arbiter as to what qualifies as inappropriate. :)