Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Plague, Take Three

This is a warning:  I'm going to whine a little, and yes I would like some cheese with that, please!  Also, be aware that I am on cold medication and have lost half of my brain in the form of ...well...you know...so this may be slightly incoherent.  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!! (Imagine a little skull and crossbones here, just for effect.)

I have The Plague again.  This is the THIRD time since Christmas that I have been sick, and I'm tired of it! (See what I did there?  Sick?  And tired? MWAH!  I crack myself up sometimes!)  But seriously, I have over 100 items on my To Do list, and I'm currently huddled in the recliner with a blanket over me and a cat lapwarmer curled up between my knees.  I SHOULD be doing things.  I have plenty of things to do, and I think of more every day.  And you would think that I would enjoy being in a recliner with a blanket and a lap-kitty, but even things you enjoy get old after a while.  This is the third time in two months, and I am mentally done with it!

Have you ever noticed that when you're sick, everyone has the perfect cure?  The thing that always works for them, and that they don't hesitate to throw out there?  Of course, there are two amusing parts to this for me:

1.  Most of the advice contradicts itself.  Person A will say to do something, and Person B will say that you should do the exact opposite.  It would be kind of amusing if I weren't in the middle of expelling the entire contents of my skull into mountains of tissues.

2.  If you remind people of their advice to you when THEY get sick, they don't want to hear it.  Of course, I generally don't want advice from others when I'm sick either, so I can get that in an odd sort of way.  Because really, when I'm sick I want sympathy, soft tissues, orange juice mixed with real ginger ale, and chicken noodle soup.

I don't really like chicken noodle soup outside of when I'm sick.  I mean, it is all right and everything, but it isn't something that I reach for as a matter of course.  But there is something about a really good chicken noodle soup that hits the spot when you're not feeling well.  But it has to be good soup, with a rich, homemade stock and lots of veggies, and the long, stringly noodles (not the short, fat ones).  Oh, and chunks of real chicken.  I'm talking about good amounts of chicken here, not the occasional tiny scrap.  It can't be some gourmet version of chicken soup, or some adulterated version. Basic chicken noodle soup is what I'm talking about, with carrots and celery and onions and maybe, just maybe a few peas or even some corn and green beans, but nothing else.  No fancy, schmancy versions with crazy ingredients that you only see used on The Food Network (tm), just a basic bowl of yummy goodness.

With crackers.  They are a must.  I'm more flexible on the cracker front, and am willing for it to be any number of types of crackers.  But don't mess with my chicken noodle soup!

So if you love me and you want to bring me something when I'm sick, bring me a small pot of homemade chicken noodle soup.  Or some orange juice and real ginger ale.  At least until I start getting better.  I can tell I'm getting better because I will start craving scrambled eggs.  Don't ask me, I don't know.  I just know that whenever I'm sick, I've reached the turning point and am on my way toward being well when the craving for plain scrambled eggs with salt and pepper and a little extra butter to finish them comes along.  I know that is odd, but that is how it works.

For right now, though, I'm still in the Soup Phase of The Plague (Round Three).  I live and die by my soft Kleenex, Dayquil, Nyquil, Emergen-C and Advil Gelcaps.

And my recliner.

And my blanket.

And my lap-kitty.

Thank goodness for all of them, because without them I would be a little ball of misery.

Now all that I need is some chicken noodle soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, so if you don't see your comment right away don't worry, I'll review it and add it as soon as possible. The only time that comments won't be approved is if they are inappropriate. And yes, I am the sole arbiter as to what qualifies as inappropriate. :)