Friday, December 25, 2015

A Year of Pinterest: Christmas Breakfast Experiment (An Early Start)

Anyone who knows me can tell you how much I love to cook...and how much I hate to measure.  I'm really a "throw it in and taste it to see what it is missing" kind of girl.

This morning's holiday breakfast was an experiment, and I had no idea if it would come out well, or if our breakfast would consist only of bacon and hash browns because the main course failed spectacularly.  Luckily, it did NOT fail.  So, to help myself remember (and because I have a feeling people will ask), here's what I did...and the changes I'll make for next time.

Crockpot Apple and Cranberry French Toast Casserole

Ingredients:

2 loaves French or Italian bread, torn into pieces
8 eggs
2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 sticks butter, cut into chunks
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Ground Ginger

Instructions:


  1. Tear bread into chunks and put chunks into large crockpot
  2. Add apple chunks and cranberries, toss to mix well
  3. Whisk together eggs, milk, cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, adjusting spices to your personal levels of taste
  4. Pour egg mixture over bread.  Using a spatula or large spoon, gently fold bread mixture so that the bread on the top gets down into the eggs and cream, then press the whole thing down with the backof the spoon to pack it in tightly.
  5. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the top of the bread.
  6. Distribute the butter chunks on top of the brown sugar.
  7. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, keep an eye on the edges as they will crisp up toward the end and may start to burn if not watched.
Serve with maple syrup.

Changes I'll make next time:

More apples.
More cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger
More brown sugar and mix some of it with the egg mixture

All in all, quite tasty, and as it cooked overnight it was ready when we got up (and the house smelled GREAT!)

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy New Year, Blessed Yule, Happy Chanukah, and any other holidays I missed! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, so if you don't see your comment right away don't worry, I'll review it and add it as soon as possible. The only time that comments won't be approved is if they are inappropriate. And yes, I am the sole arbiter as to what qualifies as inappropriate. :)