Thursday, May 14, 2015

My Nottingham


Have you ever seen Disney's version of Robin Hood?  I love that movie, as I love most Disney movies, and adore the deft mixing of humor, pathos, and excitement. It is a fun re-telling of a classic tale.  Well, I decided that this past weekend was my Nottingham.  You remember the song, don't you?  "Not in Nottingham"?  Maybe this will help...




Or the classic version...




The past weekend definitely had its ups and downs, with more downs than ups, I'm afraid.  Normally weather isn't a big deal to me.  If it rains, I get wet.  If it is sunny, I get warm.  If it snows, I put on another layer of clothing.  But this weekend the weather was particularly like that in the second video above, and THAT meant that people stayed home and didn't want to go to events.  You know, events like Fair Park Sparks on Friday evening.

They had expected between 17,000 and 25,000 people at the event based on last year's attendance.  I can tell you that by what we saw, they were lucky if they got 2,000 people, and most of those left quickly after the first, very short, shower of rain.

We didn't even sell enough to cover the cost of the food permit, much less the booth fees.  I had tried not to get my hopes up, but I at least expected to cover the booth if nothing else.  Instead, for the first time, Fat Lady Foods lost money at an event.

To put it in perspective, we made MORE money at The Marketplace in Mesquite the next morning (also rainy) than we did at what should have been an event that was supposed to be 25 to 30 times larger.

I suppose that I have been lucky until this point.  My business has gone surprisingly well, and has made enough money to pay for itself for the most part once I got past the initial boost provided by those who contributed to the fundraiser.  It was bound to happen that I had a bomb event at some point.  I just wish it had happened when I had more cash reserves in place for the company.  Now I'm struggling.  Between missing the holiday season due to website issues, then this event, I'm in a tough place.

I know that things will improve.  I know that this was one of those downs involved in ups and downs.  It will pass and things will be good.  It is just kind of stressful right now.  

I'm doing my best to breathe and to focus on moving forward....and I will.  The business will go on, and keep getting better.  Right now, though....right now I kind of want to cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, so if you don't see your comment right away don't worry, I'll review it and add it as soon as possible. The only time that comments won't be approved is if they are inappropriate. And yes, I am the sole arbiter as to what qualifies as inappropriate. :)