Saturday, November 25, 2017

Hey, the Universe is knocking!

Sometimes life just continues on its merry way, dull and stable, without much variance in happenings.  You go to work, you come home, make dinner, hop online for a bit or play computer games or work on a hobby.  The weekends come and you go to a movie or meet friends for dinner.  It is regular, unremarkable, and you pretty much know what is coming day to day.

Then there is my life.

First, I have the brilliant idea of starting my own business, and trying to juggle that with a 40 hour a week job.  After a couple of years, I realize I can't maintain that pace any more, so I quit my job and focus on my business full time while relying on The Husbeast to bring home a steady income.  Suddenly there is a rotten year, specifically rotten sales for a season.  It wasn't really anyone in particular's fault, just a Perfect Storm of Bad Things (tm) including a chaotic election.  People got scared, decided it was best to just hang onto their money to be safe, and stopped buying things.

At the end of all of that, I came to the conclusion that my baby, my business, it wasn't viable at this point in time, and I announced a hiatus.  For a time we survived on The Husbeast's salary, but things were tight.  I applied for a government job, but after almost two months I still hadn't heard anything other than a tentative offer contingent upon passing a security check, so I figured I had somehow failed the security check but couldn't for the life of me figure out why.  I've passed them before for banks I worked at, but hey, maybe they have different criteria, right?

I turned my attention to other opportunities, and was just about to start applying for various positions when The Husbeast came home three hours early on a Friday.  Anyone who has worked in corporate America knows what that means, and they're right.  He had been let go.

Now we are both unemployed, with a mortgage payment due, not to mention other frivolous bills like utilities, gas for the vehicles, and groceries.

But The Universe had a plan.  Or at least, it knew that we'd had plans we have talked about for over 20 years, and it decided that now is the time for us to move forward with them.  It punctuated the lesson by having me receive an email stating that I was totally qualified for the government job, and they would have hired me...but...they had filled the positions, but please try to apply again!  (In other words, my file sat on someone's desk too long and there are no jobs left.)   I actually started laughing when I read it because it became really obvious to me that The Universe has decided this is the direction we shall take, will we or no.

We now begin the next chapter of our lives, and we begin by being Stupid.  Not just stupid, but Stupid.

Who needs money to retire on anyway, right?

So here we go, moving forward with our Big Idea.  We've started researching, are prepping to write a business plan, and are talking with Paul The Financial Wizard about ways to survive until things are up and running.

I know this is cryptic, but we're kind of trying to keep things mellow until we're ready for the big announcement.  Most of the people who read this blog will have a good guess about what we're doing, but still, let us keep the illusion that people will be surprised.  **LOL**

And if you have any extra, send us some luck and good wishes, please. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, so if you don't see your comment right away don't worry, I'll review it and add it as soon as possible. The only time that comments won't be approved is if they are inappropriate. And yes, I am the sole arbiter as to what qualifies as inappropriate. :)