This morning's holiday breakfast was an experiment, and I had no idea if it would come out well, or if our breakfast would consist only of bacon and hash browns because the main course failed spectacularly. Luckily, it did NOT fail. So, to help myself remember (and because I have a feeling people will ask), here's what I did...and the changes I'll make for next time.
Crockpot Apple and Cranberry French Toast Casserole
2 loaves French or Italian bread, torn into pieces
2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 sticks butter, cut into chunks
- Tear bread into chunks and put chunks into large crockpot
- Add apple chunks and cranberries, toss to mix well
- Whisk together eggs, milk, cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, adjusting spices to your personal levels of taste
- Pour egg mixture over bread. Using a spatula or large spoon, gently fold bread mixture so that the bread on the top gets down into the eggs and cream, then press the whole thing down with the backof the spoon to pack it in tightly.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the top of the bread.
- Distribute the butter chunks on top of the brown sugar.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, keep an eye on the edges as they will crisp up toward the end and may start to burn if not watched.